Thursday, June 16, 2011

Vancouver riots: A repeat of 1994


I would be lying if I told you I wasn't sad or disappointed with the outcome of the game. The Canucks lost 0-4 to the Bruins. I feel like the Canucks started off strong and actually outshot the Bruins 37-21 in the game. Roberto Luongo of course cracked under pressure as usual, but he can't take all the blame. Daniel Sedin who ranked highest in points in the regular season only came up with 2 goals and 2 assists in this 7 game series. His brother Henrik, who topped in points last year netted one measly goal in the series. Now, I love the Sedin twins as much as the next Canuck fan but that's appalling!

What's more appalling than the Canucks performance in game 7 is the reaction of our fans! Over 100,000 fans lined the streets of Vancouver to watch the game on big screen TVs. When the final buzzer rang things got ugly. People flipped cars and torched them, started fights, tipped porta-potties, and smashed windows forcing Police to use Tear Gas not used since the 1994 riots in Vancouver. Riots in 94' were triggered by the Canucks loss to the New York Rangers in game 7 of the final series. I am embarrassed to be a Canuck fan when people act out like this; it gives us a bad name. I just hope that nobody is seriously hurt by the idiocracy.

Despite the outcome of the game and the ensuing riots, I am still proud of the Canucks for making it to the finals. I'm a true Canuck fan and stick with them through the good and the bad.

- A

No comments:

Post a Comment